Monday, February 18, 2008

Reaction to Books 15-19 in The Odyssey

My thoughts on the next series of books that we have recently read in Homer's Odyssey is overall frustration. It seems to me that the story has slowed down exponentially and has no more action or points of interest anymore. I feel frustrated that Odysseus has kept himself hidden throughout this whole time when he was interacting with the suitors. I found at least 4 points in the story where he could have easily revealed himself and killed all the suitors without breaking a sweat. Altough Odysseus' actions often anger me and make me want to stop reading the book, it shows the characters iron-clad will and ability to follow order (in this case handed down to him by Athena). These events demonstrate Odysseus' heroic charcteristics, those being that he is willing to be patient and stick to a plan in order to achieve his goal. I also see these characterisitics appearing more and more in the young Telemachus, who knows the suitors want to kill him but is sticking to his father's plan, too. Overall, I feel that Telemachus is almost a mirror image of his father and is bound to grow up just like him, just without as much arrogance as Odysseus.

No comments: