Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Godfather

I chose The Godfather written by Mario Puzo as my outside reading book. Although I personally have never seen the movie, I have heard that the book is much more interesting and detailed than its film counterpart.
In the first part of the book we meet the whole family of characters. The whole operation is run by a family named the Corleones. The head of the family and the chief operator is called "Don" Vito Corleone, otherwise known as "The Godfather." The couple of chapters details the wedding of his daughter, Chrissy. We also meet his oldest son, Sonny or Santino, who despite his very large temper is believed to be the heir the the Corleone throne. We also meet Freddy, his second son and more of a servant than anything. Freddy is viewed by most outsiders as someone who will always be an assistant to the Don of the family. Finally there is Michael Corleone. Mike betrayed his father and family and enrolled in the army during World War II and now is going to college at Dartmouth University. He is the most like the Don in emotional features and was thought to be the best fit for the head position in the Family until he severed ties with them.

1 comment:

Zander said...

Nice choice. I almost chose to read that too (but I've seen the movie, so I probably wouldn't have actually read the book) :).