Sunday, September 30, 2007

Black Boy (End)

Black Boy presented my styles and themes to me while reading. The first thing I noticed was that he started each chapter with an exciting event that tried to catch your attention. He had great dialogue in his book and his explanations of events were simple and to the point. One thing that he could have added to help make the book more interesting was the details of settings. His descriptions of scenes and people seemed to me like they were a little bland. In adding detail he could have kept the reader interested and added excitment and color to his book.
A theme that I saw emerging as a read the book was the opening of Richards eyes to the racsism of the time in the South. He seems comepletely oblivious to the danger he faces everyday when he interacts with white people at his job and on the streets. All the other black kids seem to have learned the ways interaction with the opposite race. I think the reason Richard had so much trouble adapting to the life that the other Black kids follow is because he moved around so much and had virtually no parents to teach him right and wrong in interacting with Whites. He kind of had to learn on his own, and that made him below the learning curve until he was about 17. Another reason is that he has a very strong will and doesn't seem to take no for an answer, which had the potential to come back and haunt him.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

Jack, I agree with you and you make a lot of valid points throughout this argument. I think Richards eyes are opened to racism more and more as the story goes on. Good job....

Jess said...

Jack!! I completely agree with your opinoin on the setting aspect. I think there wasnt much description of all the places he lived which is probably why I can even remember all of them!! good job though!! :)